NJ VMUG Virtual Event

When:  Nov 12, 2020 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM (ET)
Associated with  New Jersey VMUG
Greetings!

Our next New Jersey VMware User Group Event will be another virtual one!  

This event is sponsored by:

Cody Hall 
Product Manager at Synology

Abstract:

Any downtime in your business (or homelab) can spell disaster. In this webcast, we will take a deep dive into Synology’s different hardware and software solutions for backing up and storing your virtual machine data. You will learn how to integrate Synology's high-available storage with VMware, setup Synology license-free backup software, and implement a complete 3-2-1 disaster recovery strategy.

All live attendees who finish the survey will be automatically entered into a drawing to win a Synology DS220+ NAS ($300 value).

Raffle rules and prizes:

• Prize:  1 of DS220+ NAS ($300 value)
    • Rules: All live attendees who finish the survey will be automatically entered into the raffle drawing. One winner will be randomly drawn and notified through email provided in the survey.
    • Survey link: Will be provided in the webinar live chat.
Today's presenters:

Paul Braren
Advisory vArchitect, DellEMC

BIO:

I'm Paul Braren, creator of Tinkertry.com, all around tinkerer, and as of October 28 of 2019, proud Dell Technologies employee, after exciting rides at Pivot3, VMware, and 21 years of adventure at IBM. More of my career history on LinkedIn.

As an IT Professional by trade, I’ve enjoyed a life-long passion for technology, both professionally and personally. In other words, getting the most out of technology is not just for my day job, it’s also my hobby. Like many of you, I also spend a lot of evenings and weekends fixing my extended family’s computers, seeking ways to get things done more effectively.

I started posting tips back in 1994, when I started a motherboard-related USENET newsgroup, while doing some visual perception research and later working on Windows NT and OS/2 work at Cornell University. I then moved into consulting and building custom PCs for folks locally in Connecticut. During my years at IBM, I went largely quiet for about 15 years as far as web content, contributing hundreds of tips to my company intranet for my peers. I traveled to fascinating and not so fascinating customer locationos in about 35 of these 50 United States, and got to go to a few other countries too.

Abstract:
Come see Paul Braren’s latest adventures in workbench testing of “TinkerTry’d” home lab Xeon D servers. His close look at the vSphere 7.0 upgrade process has produced numerous revelations about VMware licensing (vExpert / VMUGAdvantage / Essentials) and support, and about various upgrade techniques. Many of his challenges were of the self-induced variety, others were related to unusual use-cases. Once the rough edges were resolved, he used the lessons-learned to finalize his configuration on his 4th node, the 12 core production server. This crucial always-on system is where his VCSA 7.0 Update 1, automated backups, and Windows 10 workstation VM all reside, used heavily for all content creation at TinkerTry including vSphere 7 articles and videos, even 4K video editing on triple monitors located in another room, 20 feet away, keeping his office quiet and cool. He’ll also cover automated graceful ESXi shutdowns, UPS battery failures, brutal Folding@home workloads, router and network issues, and long shipping delays that all conspired to slow progress. Come along for this deeper dive into exactly what went down during Paul’s relentless evening and weekend tinkering, and also learn exactly how he ultimately prevailed over some small and not-so-small issues with audio support and GPU passthrough quirks. Along the way, you’ll see the variety of simple tools he’s come to rely upon in the 15 years since his first VCP, part of his planned live demo of his compact and efficient home datacenter, running the latest VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 1 hypervisor on all 4 nodes!

Patrick Kremer
Staff Cloud Solution Architect, VMware

BIO: 

Patrick Kremer has worked for VMware since 2014, and has been running VMware environments since ESX 3.0.  He is currently a presales engineer specializing in VMware Cloud on AWS.

Patrick is a vExpert and holds numerous VMware certifications including VCIX-DCV 2019 and VCP-DCV/NV 2020.

Abstract: 
Code is for everybody! As the world moves toward containers and Kubernetes, the classic virtual infrastructure admin must modernize their skills. However, navigating the cloud native world can be extremely challenging for those from a classic infrastructure background. In this session, Patrick Kremer takes you through his 6-month journey from zero dev skills to open source contributor. Learn how you can also leverage the open source VMware Event Broker Appliance (VEBA) project to learn new developer skills while also improving your ability to respond to infrastructure events.

Cory Barker
Sr. Consultant, IntegraTouch

BIO:
Cory is an experienced Senior consultant and architect, who works with VMware customers to modernize their IT infrastructures, augmenting and training their staff with the latest virtualization technologies in vSphere, and VMware Cloud.  He is a continuous learner, and an active member of the #vCommunity who's a VMware #vExpert (2017 - 2020), a keeper and builder of home labs, a VMUG speaker and author of the technical blog site, CaptainvOPS.com.

Abstract:
In this session I will go over how I believe a VMware home lab will improve your professional growth and career.  I will also touch on topics such as the different types of home labs, costs and how my own home lab has helped in my professional growth.

Nick Korte
Systems Engineer, VMware

BIO: 
Nick Korte is a former math teacher turned IT pro with 10 years of experience in systems administration. He has been a Solution Engineer for VMware since late 2017 supporting customers of various sizes. Nick is the co-host of the Nerd Journey podcast with John White, a podcast focusing on technology career progression. He is a multi-year vExpert and a blogger, focusing on both technical and career-focused content. Nick also serves as co-leader of the Dallas / Fort Worth SpiceCorps.

Abstract: 
The VMware product line has grown from the vSphere hypervisor to a sizable buffet of offerings that span public and private clouds.  Filling a buffet plate with products at purchase time isn't enough to make customers successful in implementing, supporting, and learning more about the technologies they own.  Each product comes with its own set of documentation and other collateral, but with so many products in the portfolio, how do customers find what they need easily?  The average customer has no idea how much free product documentation exists and where to find it.  I invite you to join me on a journey through VMware documentation to find out what you've been missing (which may be more than you realized).  We'll walk through the various documentation hub sites, the types of documentation which can be found at each one and the products covered, and some practical tips for using the documentation like a pro.  Regardless of role, company size, or product exposure you will walk away having learned something new.  We’ll also create a customized VMware document together as part of our demo!

Giveaways:
Synology will be raffling off a Synology DS220+ NAS
NJ VMUG will be raffling off VMUG branded items

Agenda: 
9:00am - Registration
9:15am - Welcome & Housekeeping
9:30am - Paul Braren: TinkerTry Home Lab’s VMware vSphere 7.0 Upgrade Challenges, Successes, and Lessons Learned.
10:30am - Synology Presentation: License-free backup & high-availability storage
11:15am - Break
11:30am - Patrick Kremer: Skills modernization for the Virtual Infrastructure Admin
12:00pm - Cory Barker: How VMware Home Labs can improve your Professional Growth
1:00pm -  Nick Korte:  The Extensive Guide to using VMware Documentation as a Pro
2:00pm - Giveaways & Closing Remarks

The Zoom Link will be sent about 1 hour prior to the event starting.  You can email NJ@VMUG.COM or send us a DM on twitter (@NJ_VMUG) if you don't get the zoom link by 8am. 

We ask that questions for the speakers be posted in the Zoom Chat and not asked.  Everyone will be muted upon entry to the event.  

Everyone is encouraged to turn on your webcams for the event!  Since we can't gather in person, lets meet virtually, face to face! :) 

#NJVMUG #Homelab #Synology #SkillsModernization #ProfessionalGrowth #VMwareDocumentation #LessonsLearned

​​​​​​​​

Online Instructions:
Url: http://zoom.com
Login: Zoom Link & PW Will be sent the day prior to the event
Event Image

Contact

NJ VMUG

nj@vmug.com